Monday, August 21, 2006

Day 1 of Phase 1

I didn't lawn dart it today! Ok, that would mean I would have to be flying to eject out and burn it in, but at least I started on the journey to get that opportunity. And we learned today how to pull the ejection handle...I think it would be awesome to sit on a rocket, but I bet that would end my flying career in a hurry.

My class is 07-14 (we will be the 14th class to graduate in the FY 2007) and it is for the most part a good group of kids. I say that since I am the second oldest in the class, although I am not nearly the second in rank (thank goodness, that would me added responsibility). There are 28 people: 18 active duty (12 from the USAF Academy), 4 guard, 4 reserve, and 2 international students. They must be prodigies because they are like 20 and 21 with degrees. I barely got one in 7 years.

It should be pretty interesting and the first few weeks we are learning how to parachute and get in and out of the plane. By the way, there is a lot to just getting in the cockpit. By the time you get your G-suit, helmet, mask, oxygen, chute harness, and a million buckles done up, that is not the time to decide you have to go to the bathroom. Then we start learning about the effects of flying on the body and the aircraft's operating systems. Good times ahead on so late night reading.

I won't post everyday, but I wanted to let everyone know I got the whole thing kicked off today. I don't have the days counted until we fly, but it should be around the end of September.

Then I will be able to do this.

P.S. I meant boars...not bores. I found out today they can be up to two hundred pounds and they are for the most part nocturnal.

5 Comments:

At Monday, August 21, 2006 10:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone is keeping you in line. Really Bores. Old men should be better spellers. Have fun work hard and call you later, perhaps in even drop in.

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Brand-O said...

Seems a little sketchy that the first thing they teach you is how to eject. I'm not saying that it isn't important for you rooks!

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jeremy!

This is a cool site! I enjoyed hearing about everything you're doing and for the scenic tour down there in Texas. God bless you and I hope your flying goes great!

Renae

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from the Nelson fam! We are happy to see that things are going well so far. Hope you never have to use that eject button!! I'd love to visit San Antonio again, but Mike refuses to fly with Noah again!
Talk to you soon!

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for living out your dreams! I hope you enjoy the heat and that soon you get to learn more than how to eject.

You're always in my prayers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home