Saturday, May 15, 2010

Body going fast...brain going slower

Well this past week was a wake up call. I am "that guy" that is getting the special treatment because I am struggling. They know me before they even fly with me...that isn't good. However, the instructors have been very patient and are going to help me get through this thing. Everything is just so fast and I am catching on, but I hadn't flown in 14 months and when I last flew, it was a lot slower, not to mention I don't have a bunch of experience anyway. I am definitely the least experienced pilot in the whole squadron here. It doesn't appear that way because there are several other captains (the majority are majors and lieutenant colonels), but all the other captains are almost majors and have several deployments under their belts. They all have many more hours than myself, but we are all supposed to perform to the same standards. I am at a disadvantage, which luckily the instructors know, but they can't rewrite the rule book just for me. The fact that they know I am a "rookie" and they are trying to work with me, is why I say they have been very patient.

I say all that to say that it is a struggle to perform up to their standards, not to mention my own. I, by far, am my worst critic and I tend not to lift my own spirits very often. They are constantly telling me that I am not putting on a very good "fighter pilot" attitude when I don't strut around, but I find this to be one of the most humbling times. It is still fun, but I had forgotten what it was like to live with my stomach in knots all the time. I can't figure out why I need to put so much pressure on myself, but I guess that is what drives me. Well enough of me lying on your couch and telling you my problems while you scribble something on your notepad and nod your head...on to the other stuff.

I am now into formation flying and it should be interesting. Anyone know a good paint and auto body...er...aircraft body shop? I hope the Air Force has Maaco on speed dial. Here are some pictures I "found." Believe me, I would never violate Air Force policy and take pictures while flying. And if you think my flying problems are because I am operating a camera instead of the jet...that is an interesting thought!



Candi has been working everyday and has video conferences with her office mates via Skype. They get quite amused when a dog starts barking and disrupts their meeting. We really haven't done too much around here yet. We have seemed to have found the shopping places and of course it is all Candi and not me! If you know me, you know the two shirts, jacket, two pairs of shoes, and shorts were out of necessity...I hate having new clothes! But, I did let Candi super-size her Arby's order, so we should be close to even.

As much fun as shopping is, we are missing home. I think I am more homesick than Candi, but I think it is probably because my world is a little more upside down than hers or she just might not like you as much as I do... just kidding. I say all that to say, you can write, email, or call us. We feel as if we ratted out all of our friends and they don't want to talk to us anymore. I promise, it was Candi and not me...you can still call me!

SEE YA!

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 17, 2010 6:53:00 AM, Blogger Brand-O said...

Dude, the pics are awesome. As much as you want us all to believe you are struggling, those that know you know that you are doing awesome. Hang in there kid.

 
At Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:32:00 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Okay, Jeremy... as your "older sister (NOT mother)" in christ, I have to ask... are ya doing okay with the whole spiritual connection thing? Or is that just a given considering you go fly like a bird in a steel contraption everyday?

We miss you both terribly! I know you will get through this.. because you ARE hard on yourself, and because you are driven. The only things worth anything in life are stinking hard... just to remind you.

Love & Prayers, Renee

 
At Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:09:00 PM, Anonymous Jeff K said...

We miss you around here to. It should make you feel better that ever since you stopped showing up to our Wednesday morning breakfasts, our numbers have shrunk. I don't get it, I would have thought just the opposite. Anyways, You remain in our thoughts and prayers. You are much braver than I. I am afraid going to the Wal-Mart, let alone move halfway accross the country. By the way, do the crowds at the Wal-Marts in Texas look anything like the ones here in Idaho? Of course it probably depends on whether or not I am talking about Caldwell or Boise. I gotcha. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on what is going on in your world. Keep your head up, and think "Top Gun". You could pull off an Ice Man, just less hair of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home