Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Ups and Downs Continue

I didn't post last week because it was a very frustrating week and I really didn't have much to share. I flew twice each day and then followed them up by studying the rest of the time. Flying twice a day, when learning new things, really makes it tough to stay on top of everything. I wasn't doing so well at it, so this last week they backed it off and I only flew one graded flight a day, except for Friday when I flew two graded flights. The other days, I still flew twice a day, but the second flight was just to observe and not grade. I am still not sure if they help more than just studying on my own, but they schedule these "sandbag" rides for me and my roommate whether we want them or not.

I will do ok one flight and then horrible the next. I don't know the reason, but it is really frustrating. I will mess up the simple things and then I have to go back and redo them the next time...which does allow me to move on to the next items. On Friday, for example, the first flight went bad and I made a lot of mistakes and the instructor would have to take the jet because he didn't want to die right then, and then literally three hours later, I could do those same items just fine and I wouldn't even hear the instructor whimper like he was scared.

However, there were a few highlights of the past week. For starters, our old roommate from Corpus Christi and Little Rock stopped by for a visit. Jamie was passing through on some mission that had him staying in the nicest hotels in the land...even ones with their own water park and lazy rivers (Google JW Marriot in San Antonio).

It made me feel great that I get to study every night and fly stressed out while this guy gets to fly in luxury everyday and stay at nice resort/spa retreats. All kidding aside, it was great to see Jamie again. He is one of those few real good guys...and ladies, he is still single.
Moving on to another highlight, Candi and I spent Saturday of our Memorial Day weekend checking out the Guadalupe River and the City of Gruene (actually pronounced like the color green). And we made a small discovery in the process...we found out where all of San Antonio and possibly Central Texas goes when it's hot. They float the Guadalupe River, Comal River, go to the Schitterbaun Water Park, and Canyon Lake. All within a mile or two of each other, the whole area was swarming with thousands of people all carrying tubes. I really haven't seen that many people in my life. The area was really cool and the rivers looked like a lot of fun to float and I think we will have to go back to participate.

Gruene was an old historic city that we had heard a lot about. It has the oldest dance hall in Texas and a lot of big names come to this small little building. It really looked like it was built in 1887 on the inside, but it was still neat.
And one of the last highlights was flying in a few four ship formation flights, something I had never done in my short (but brilliant) career. I can say I led a four ship formation. I didn't lead for a long time, but I did for a bit. You might think that is scary flying a few feet from four other planes while going 400 mph, but I would like you to think of the others. Can you imagine what was going through their minds? "Seriously, we are being led around by a guy who has less than twenty hours in this jet and we have to fly solely by looking and following him?" Think about it people, I led guys that have more hours in the T-38c than I have hair follicles. It is no kidding like putting a three year old behind the wheel of a car, hitting the cruise control, then jumping in the back seat and telling your friends just to follow you down the road at top speed. Who wouldn't raise their hand for that opportunity? Here is one of the four ship rides.

Anyway, I am now only thirteen flights away from finishing up this course, which in theory means I will be ready for the hard class to start. Again, if I may, this is like going to prison, singling out the toughest gang, making fun of them, and then proceeding to get torn to pieces, just for the warden to come up and tell you that you were just beat up by preschoolers and that the real gang members were waiting for you in the cafeteria. Maybe you haven't spent as much time in the "big house" as I have, but it means that even though I may think this first part is hard, it really is nothing compared to the next phase.

Thanks to those of you who have commented, emailed, or sent me/Candi a message on Facebook or Twitter (ok, the Twitter thing is only to me, Candi would never want to be lumped into "that group"). Candi and I get home sick often and it is nice to get notes every so often that others are thinking and praying for us. Until the next time, we will continue to sweat like a fat man running to get in line at Golden Corral on the face of the sun...yeah, humidity and mid 90s will make even me wear deodorant. See ya!

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 31, 2010 9:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy,
You'd make a good teacher with the word pictures and descriptions you use to help us experience what you have experienced. I'd give you an "A" in creative writing.
Think of you often and wish I could stop by your house and visit when I'm in Boise.
Love you both and praying daily and many times daily for you and Candi. Mother

 
At Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:05:00 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I noticed you were using clear plastic bags. Is that so you can still see what's going on around you while you're.....well.....you know?

Hey! Racquet Ball!

Kevin

 
At Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy and Candi,
I love reading your blogs. You are a great descriptive writer. I can almost feel the agony.
I miss you guys. We had a fish fry at your Grandpa and Grandma's Saturday night. The fish was wonderful and everyone had a good time. We missed you both and not having you there to entertain us (Jeremy). Just know you are loved and prayed for everyday by many people. You will make it through!!!!
Send us some warm, dry weather!!
We are getting web feet.
A. Betty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home