Saturday, June 12, 2010

Who Cares About Flying, We Need A/C

I know I didn't waste much time getting to the complaining part of my post, since I started my plea for tear shedding in the title, but it is HOT. I am seriously sitting in a 86 degree house at 10 o'clock at night. As I mentioned last week, our A/C is out and our homo-wner is out of the country. The bad part is this week was the hottest week yet with many days in the mid to high 90s. The good part is that I finally get to use my phrase, "It is Africa hot" and mean it. A guy from Africa said this last week that this Texas heat was more than he was used to!

We had someone come out and check the A/C, just to find they needed authorization to do any more by the owner... unless we wanted to cough up the $2,000+ for a new compressor. I have visions of getting stuck with this bill, since this guy didn't really do anything to the house if it was going to cost him money. So we wait for next week when he shall return. Then there will probably be a second opinion, followed by a back ordered compressor, and a backed up A/C man (nothing to do with his low bathroom attendance) and we may be still playing this violin next week. I think the dogs and cats are starting to rally together and Candi and I are fearing a riot. If it weren't for the linoleum, fans, and window A/C we bought, I think they would have already staged a coup d'etat (and yes, I did have to Google that word). These are pictures I posted on Twitter/Facebook, but they weren't staged and it shows you that I am not kidding.



We have been eating out quite a bit, since #1) we can't stand the heat and #2) cooking makes the house even warmer. This no A/C thing is costing us big time. We have been spending money by going to A/C facilities for eating, shopping, and just plain old loitering. Ok, I think I have complained enough for a minute or two, let's get on to what everyone wants to know...what did I have for dinner? No, that isn't what everyone wants to know about? Well, it has to be something about me, since I am self absorbed enough to know there isn't much else to care about.

I mean, we told our parents last week that we were going to have a baby and they didn't even act like they cared. It isn't like Candi's mom and my mom didn't set a new world record by telling 3,416 people in less than a day that they were going to be grandparents...without the aid of Facebook and Twitter. It isn't like they thumbed their noses at social media and made a mockery of Facebook by reaching more people with their rotary phones in an hour than that website could! It isn't like we already received two pairs of baby shoes, baby books, and baby toys for a blob of goo that will someday (but not in the immediate future) be a baby. It isn't like people all of a sudden remembered that the Presley's indeed were still alive and actually sent emails and messages to us!

OK, it is like all of that! And I tell you what, we would have had a lot of kids and had them a whole lot earlier, if we would have known the kind of response we would get. People actually called us and emailed us! Thank you to everyone who did; we really needed the encouragement and just to hear from people at home. I think I am going to announce this kind of thing once a month or so, just so you can actually contact us! If you are thinking, well I didn't call or email them...what kind of bigger announcement do you need? As I told someone this past week, "do you know your phone can still call someone, even if they don't live in your same town anymore?"

Ok, I know you are getting to the point where you are looking for the incentive to keep on reading since I only either complain to you or criticize you, so here is the incentive. If you keep reading and being our friend, we will let you babysit when we get home. And that goes for everyone, we won't exclude anyone!

Candi is doing well...make that well-done...and enjoys having to take breaks from her work to take cold showers. I have been spending a lot more time at the base, since it is air conditioned. I am very considerate of my pregnant wife though and call her often to make sure she is still conscious and hasn't had a heat stroke in the house.

My flying continues to be up and down (pun not intended). I have four flights left and would have been only a flight away from being done, but I had three flights this last week cancelled due to weather. I flew three times and two were good and one wasn't so much. I am scheduled for two on Monday, so that means I could be done as early as Tuesday or Wednesday. I really don't feel like I am ready for IFF (the next class- Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals), but then I don't think too many people ever feel ready for a kick to the mid-section. I am told I have the skills to make it through, but not the mind set. They say I am not intense enough, aggressive enough, or competitive enough. I have never been told that before on anything, so I think there is a whole new level I will have to push myself to in the upcoming weeks. I have often thought that I was pushing it about as hard as I could, so we will see where this new level comes from.

Well, I think that about does it for me. I am off to have a cold shower to lower my core temperature, so that I won't wake up with so much sweat on the sheets that it makes me wonder if I still have my bladder under full control at age 32. One last thing, I had a huge breakthrough on the whole issue of there being a lot of bigger people down here and in the South in general. I realized when it is this hot, no one does anything outdoors, especially something strenuous, but the one thing you can do is EAT because it is indoors! And to prove it, I have put on five pounds this past week, but man were those restaurants nice and cold!

1 Comments:

At Monday, June 14, 2010 11:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't box some of that heat up and send it to us. We finally had a warm day today. Now this evening it has been lightning, thundering and raining. Suppose to be 10 degrees cooler tomorrow. sorry your A/C is out of commission. How dare that owner leave town when your A/C breaks down! So inconsiderate, don't you think?
You'll probably sweat off the extra pounds. Not to worry.
I hope things cool down for you soon. Guess you can tell there is more than a little excitement surging through the family over the news of a baby!
Take good care of Candi!
A. Betty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home