Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...and then other stuff!

THE GOOD:
Candi and I had a very good Thanksgiving. She did an awesome job of cooking and everything was perfect. I know I shouldn't admit it, but I didn't quite have the highest of expectations for a whole meal with many different sides. Needless to say, Candi far exceeded my expectations. I was pretty sure we would only be eating part of the meal since something would go wrong or something would not cook right. You might think that I am selling ourselves (and by "ourselves" I mean Candi cooking and me complaining/judging) short, but I am not and anytime you have four items that were being cooked or made for the first time you tend to think that the law of averages will sabotage at least one of them. But, it didn't and it was one of the best tasting meals ever...the only thing that could have made it better was being with family. Below is a picture of the huge spread with a very nicely decorated table...we had the leaves in to extend the table to accommodate everything.
THE BAD:
A couple of things that are bad around here, but not too bad. One, the temperature dropped thirty degrees this past week when a cold front moved through. I understand it isn't as cold as Idaho right now, but high thirties and forties is cold compared to high seventies five days ago. The other bad thing is that I start my graveyard shift this week. I am starting a new phase of sims and since they go 24/7, I got the midnight time slot. We actually have to show up at 9:00 PM for the prebrief, the sim at 12:00 to 3:00, and then the debrief until 4:00AM. Yeah, that is bad. Luckily it will only be for two and a half to three weeks of this schedule, but now I have to try to find out a sleep schedule that will allow for studying, seeing my wife (when she is awake), and still getting other things done.

THE UGLY:
Three words: Boise State football! Wow, what an embarrassment to football other than pee-wee football....it would have been descent by their standards. I told Candi five minutes into the game that we were in trouble and if something didn't change we would be losing the game. I must be from the same gene pool as Nostradamus because I predicted that one pretty good. I know we can't win them all, but at least make it look like we know what defense is every once in a while. We single-handedly made the Hawaii punter lose his scholarship because we showed that he isn't needed on their team. Anyway, enough of me crying because grown men in tight pants rasslin' with each other didn't work out like I wanted. However, before I made my household burn all the BSU gear, we did get a family photo showing our support. Notice the game on the TV is in the introductions and I still could muster a smile.


THE OTHER:
In other news, there was great jubilation in Arkansas when their team beat the number one team in all of college football, LSU. When they won in the fourth overtime, I heard fireworks going off in our neighborhood.

Candi and I saw a deer run through our neighbor's yard, into the subdivision park, and then finally into the woods next to our subdivision. It made this prestigious blog because it was the highlight of Candi's week and now she stands by the front window looking out for the next once in a life time moment.


I rode my dirtbike over the break and even found a few friends to play with.

Finally, we are still trying to find a good church in the area and we have been researching all the churches in the area. If you are familiar with the South, you know that we have our work cut out for us because there are more churches than there are people to go to them. If you strike out a church with the word Baptist embedded in its name (they have to get creative not to use the same name as the other twenty Baptists on the same street) you can at least get it down to a manageable number. Anyway, in our research and looking at websites, we came across this church called Open Door Community Church just down the road. Here is a picture of their pastor:


If you don't see anything wrong with the picture...well, I can't help you, but their Genesis has the Adam and Steve version. If you would like to check this out and think I am making it up: http://www.sherwoodopendoor.org/

Well, that is enough for now and no, we didn't go and check it out even though I have a couple of pink shirts and some of you question my fashionable coat (Karl, Brandon, Kevin, and Rusty). I will talk at you all next week.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:41:00 PM, Blogger Huffalo said...

That guy on the left is you!

 
At Saturday, December 01, 2007 6:42:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Awesome Thanksgiving meal! I had to laugh - not at the delightful spread, but your description of it!

Yes, we slow-moving, low-flying Army pilots have to learn instruments, too. I'm told that Apache's and Kiowa's don't usually fly IMC, but Blackhawks and Chinooks do. Kinda' fun to learn, but a challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home