Thursday, October 04, 2007

WINGS...Done With UPT

Not much has happened around here in the last few weeks...wait there was something...what was it...um-m-m-m...oh yeah, I graduated from UPT and now I am an official pilot. "Winging" or graduation is probably the single biggest highlight in a pilot's career since without this moment, you wouldn't be a pilot. Long story short, it was kind of a big deal.

I lured my family down to Corpus so they could be with me for this big deal, but they were more excited about the vacation they were getting. They enjoyed the beach, dolphins, scenery, and even made time for a graduation since they were already here and were running out of things to do.

My dad (John) and stepmother (Sharla) came into town via San Antonio and a rental car on Thursday morning. My mom (Judene) came into town Thursday afternoon via San Antonio and my vehicle, navigated by Candi and myself, going up there to pick her up. My unit also sent a representative that we welcomed into the gaggle. Friday was the big day and I showed the family around the base, facilities, and aircraft. The ceremony was Friday afternoon and it was short and sweet. The event went smoothly and celebrated with a big feast at a local steakhouse.

Saturday the weather was a bit sketchy, but Candi and I were tour guides for the South Texas Expedition. We showed the family the area and ate out. On Sunday, parts of the family went to church and then we all ate. Later we went to the beach and then ate.

Monday we all went to San Antonio to remember the Alamo, walk along the river, and eat. The Riverwalk was nice and it wasn't too hot to enjoy the sites of the town. Tuesday we ate, went to the botanical garden, ate, and then sent the family packing back home.

It was great for the all of the family to be here for me at this time. I really appreciated everyone making it to my graduation, although it has also been nice to have some time to myself and not feel like I have to entertain and eat so much. If you haven't noticed, we did a little eating over the celebratory weekend. I think it was a combination of Candi and I don't cook and we wanted to get a square meal...whatever it was, all we did was eat big meals.

Notice the new, shinny wings on my bulging left chest

If you haven't fallen asleep and are still reading this or you just read the first and last paragraph (how I made it through school), I would like to end by saying thank you to everyone for their support and prayers. Without them and Candi by my side, I know I wouldn't have made it. I still have a long way to go, but at least now I can say that I am an Air Force pilot.

1 Comments:

At Friday, October 05, 2007 7:50:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Congrats, man! That's an awesome accomplishment! What's with the white, blue, and white & blue uniforms in the group pic?

Enjoy your new status!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home