Sunday, July 22, 2007

Slow Week and Busy Weekend

God did not want me to fly much this week, so he made the weather such that we were not able to navigate/fly in it. The weather has been less than beautiful the past few weeks, but we are dealing with it. I only had one flight, one sim, and one class this past week, so it was rather slow. I have two flights on Monday, the weather permitting, so my checkride should be on Tuesday. I am still ahead on the timeline, so I am ok with the slow down as long as it doesn't last too long.


Some of the Laughlin gang saddled up their horses and came down to Corpus this weekend. It was good times as usual at our hotel. I felt like a 1,000 square foot house in my home town that was busted with 83 illegal aliens living inside. Although most had their green cards (even the two Portuguese renegades), there was still limited floor space at night.

Buffalo Wild Wing Restaurant

The Beach

I learned to surf a little more, but the biggest news is that I am now an official surfer...yep, got the scar to prove it. One of my bros from Del Rio had acquainted himself with some random female beach goers and one of them agreed to give me some tips. All went well for a while and I learned some good techniques, then as we were paddling out to the lineup (lineup is a word us professional surfers call where the waves are breaking) and she got bucked of by a twenty...er...fifteen...er...ten...er...couple foot wave. As I was getting ready to duck under the wave I saw her board, with no driver, coming right for me with its fins sticking out like a cat's claws right before it goes medieval on you. With my heightened senses and quick reflexes...I took it right on the head. It felt kind of like getting hit with a two by four while being churned in the wash cycle of a washing machine. When I surfaced, spitting sea water, I noticed the water was a bit red and I already had a bump on my head.

Luckily, I realized that using sea water to soak up my blood isn't always the best idea. I hear blood is like catnip for sharks. By then my reflexes had kicked in and I started moving and moving rather quickly before the sharks sharpened their teeth with my femur bone. Here is a picture of the devastation that led to much emotional anguish. It is said that a camera adds 10 pounds and it is also said that it reduces cuts by two to three inches...so you can imagine what it really looks like.
Now that I have no one's sympathy, in my defense it was a head wound and they do bleed a lot...hence the three other groups that came by with first-aid supplies, but fortunately we had some of our own.
Well, that is about it. All of my friends stayed out of jail and the cops only yelled at one of them...of course it was my boy Strube. I am off to cleaning the hotel before my beautiful wife gets back tomorrow and wonders why she didn't see the hurricane on the news that looked like it blew through just our piece of the local community. I am very excited to get my wife back, I really have missed her. I honestly don't know how I made it in Laughlin without her.

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 30, 2007 12:56:00 AM, Blogger Huffalo said...

Watch out...it's Shark Week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home