Sunday, March 09, 2008

Armageddon Is Upon Us...The End Is Now

PANIC EVERYONE, THE END OF THE WORLD IS HERE!!!!!!!!! Well, that is at least what the fine people of Arkansas thought because there was snow in the forecast! I am not making this up for a better read, these are the facts according to one good looking guy. The weather guessers went on the devil box telling the locals to expect up to 12'' of snow in a couple of days and people would have thought they said that the world had come to an end. Wal-Mart and the other grocers had bare shelves, people were shutting themselves in with generators, and everybody was cancelling their appointments for the next few days. It was 50 degrees and partly cloudy when I got the phone call that my sim for the next day had been cancelled due to weather. I expected people to be on the street corners with cardboard signs stating, "Repent, the end is near," but I think they were too busy freaking out to come up with that solid of a plan.

Then the snow came! It snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed and piled up, just take a look!

Yep, that is almost an inch and a half. The few that braved this winter disaster, went about 30 miles an hour on an almost wet 55 mile per hour freeway. The snow never stuck to the roads, but that didn't stop Arkansas motorists from driving slightly faster than idle and the road departments from dumping tons of sand onto non-slick roads making it worse for drivers that didn't have the foresight to have sand tires put on. Store owners closed up shop due to the idea of snow, although the majority were the smaller stores. The base gave us a snow day, but I still went to the gym and did all the normal stuff that you can do when it only snows a little bit. However, the locals weren't so convinced. The Bible states to clothe yourselves with patience (along with other things), but if you would have had to co-habitate with Arkansans when it snowed...you would be naked.

With the rain in the early part of the week and the snow in the latter, I made a historic investment...a $6 Tiger Woods Golf game for my X-Box. One of the best ideas, except I haven't gotten to bed before 1 a.m. since the purchase. It has turned into a team thing...

...and even Candi is addicted to it...ok, she plays in order to get some time with me.

The pandemonium was over by Friday night and by Sunday it was sunny and in the high sixties. We took advantage of the nice weather and hiked back up Pinnacle Mountain after church with some buddies from the base. If you want to see pictures...go back to my October something blog, it was prettier then. We did some geo-caching and it was pretty fun. Basically, you go online and find where hidden treasures are stashed and then, with the help of a GPS unit, you find them. They are usually little boxes or canisters with trinkets in them. Generally you deposit something and sometimes take something out in order to put it in the next one you find. There are log books so you can see everyone who has been there. We ended up finding one that is the "state treasure" and you get a number and after collecting all 50 you get something, maybe a pat on the back? I am not that into it, but the guys we were with were, and it made for an interesting hiking trip.

In disturbing news (according to Candi) it is now MUSTACHE MARCH! The mustache is the third worst hair idea behind the mullet and the rat tail, but I am sporting one! It is so hideous that on the weekends I am letting my beard grow out just to make it blend in a bit better. The halls and cockpits are filled with dudes (and some females who must think every month is March) wearing the upper lip fungus with pride. Most can't grow one and it is reminiscent of high school boys in their pursuit of manliness. Stay riveted to your word boxes (computers for the lay person) for the unveiling next week of my feeble attempt at the pervert look. The last few statements were only an opinion and in no way reflect the feelings of the entire Presley family. If you were offended in any way...you should shave yours off!

I had a few more sims this past week that were uneventful at best. I am making up my Friday sim tomorrow night and then I am done with Phase II. The next and final phase is...stay with me...Phase III! How many didn't see that one coming around the bend? In Phase III you learn how to fly in formation using radar in case of flying in bad weather. Basically flying next to another aircraft with four spinning airplane blenders, all the while without actually seeing that aircraft. "Safety First" is lost with this concept. You learn not to bump into the blips on the radar and then all drop your cargo in the same spot. Apparently it isn't used that much, but we still need to know how to fly that way.

Finally, I have two items. One is a "thank you" to the five people that were so brave to stick your neck out and say that you associated with me by reading my blog. Nice to see it isn't all for not. And lastly, I told you that Candi cut her hair last week. Here is a picture of my beautiful wife's look with a five inches cut off...and I just got an idea for enhancing the growth of my mustache...

3 Comments:

At Monday, March 10, 2008 12:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my friend, are a funny man.
Rocky

 
At Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:41:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Little Rock's snowfall sounds like a hilarious event! I had nearly the same experience living in a similar area. Except they didn't call a snow day the day before - they waited until the 1" came.

Do you take a checkride to finish Phase II, or you simply move on to III without that wonderful opportunity?

 
At Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so cool, Jeremy. Everyone likes you and totally adores you. I speak for thousands when I say that we all read your blog religously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home