Sunday, January 27, 2008

Another Slow Week

The past week was rather slow and boring. I had Monday off due to someone having a dream and then dying five years later. Then due to other students having to catch up and limited number of planes, I had Tuesday off. Wednesday saw me sitting at the duty desk to help the operations officer...basically answer phones and being a secretary for the squadron.

Finally on Thursday I was scheduled to fly. But, as so often happens here at "The Rock," things didn't happen as originally planned. Part of my crew decided not to show up for the flight and therefore they had to cancel my flight. I would have been somewhat less bitter if I hadn't had to roll out of bed at 4:30 am for that bit of news. Luckily, another flight took me on and I didn't get to fly for as long as I originally was going to, but at least I got a portion of my curriculum done. Friday was just as interesting. The weather was all shades of nasty with freezing rain, so they cancelled the low level portions of the flight (generally the first several hours done by students in the next phase of training) and had me go first. It was nice not to have to wait four to five hours to fly, so I was all excited just to have my emotions flushed down the toilet. We started with having to replace some leaking parts around the prop. Then we taxied and we lost some crucial gauges, so we had to taxi back for maintenance. After getting that fixed and taxiing back, we lost a generator which is normally ok if the weather is good, but now the weather was deteriorating to the point where we were required to have all five generators working. After taxiing around for over two hours, the aircraft commander called it a day when the freezing rain started accumulating on our windshield. Long story short, I got up at 4:30am twice for only a portion of the training...and guess what time I have to be there on Monday...yep, you guessed it...5:15 am.

You can put away your handkerchiefs and wipe your eyes dry because my life isn't all horrible and cruel. I actually have time for myself and time to rock out. One of my buddies left their Guitar Hero III at our house and I have been taking full advantage of the game. In other news, Candi hasn't worked but two hours in the last week because she can't pull herself away from the game either. She just sits in the spare room with bloodshot eyes, refusing to sleep or eat until she gets another high score.

For those of you that don't know what the game is, it is a game where you play cords on a fake guitar as they appear on the screen. They are all popular songs and you get points by playing the right notes and strumming at the right time. It actually takes a lot of hand-eye coordination and therefore I am not the best at this one.

So if it isn't getting up early or playing a fake guitar, we didn't do it this week. I did find time to go shopping on Saturday and added one more pair of shoes to my collection...in my defense they are slippers and not really shoes. I also got a cool brown jacket that was regularly 80 dollars for a whopping $9.98...NOW THAT IS A DEAL!

2 Comments:

At Monday, January 28, 2008 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Well that sounds like a less-than-fun week! I dislike those early morning flightline calls, but hate the late afternoon ones more, but getting to the flightline at an unearthly hour is completely worthless when you can't even get up in the air!

Do you have a navigator on your -130 while you fly, or do you navigate at the same time as flying? Doing just traffic patterns, a navigator could get pretty bored, I imagine!

 
At Monday, January 28, 2008 6:36:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Just saw your comment - hopefully I don't catch up with you regarding busted checkrides!

I fly approaches & do holding at the nice slow speed of 90 kts! Rotorcraft are Category A aircraft. They can do approaches faster, of course, but 90kts allows for the lowest wx minima. Doing 91-120kts would be suitable for most other Army rotorcraft but would make it Category B approaches requiring better weather.

What speed have you used in your different aircraft?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home