Sunday, March 02, 2008

Shame On All Of You

You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves for your lack of comments on this blog in the last couple of months. I even had what I thought was a clever ending and nothing. I don't skip class just to come up with a good script for my health. If it wasn't for a guy I haven't seen in ten plus years and an occasional comment from my great aunt, I would have nothing! Thanks Travis for making me feel as if at least one person reads it and for the rest of you, well thanks for your undying support and great friendship...

Now that I have dried my eyes, I can tell you about this past week. It was a very hectic week for a guy that has not worked a full week in several weeks. I had something every day, can you believe it? I should get overtime or something...

I had academics for a few days and then a few sims. I got shot at and had to avoid every kind of munitions that you could think that someone would lob at you and even some that you probably didn't even know existed. Fortunately I didn't get shot down, but even if I had got shot down I would still have full function of my extremities and wouldn't be living in Akmed's cave...remember it is a simulator. We also flew a formation low level and a night flight on NVGs (night vision goggles). The formation flight wasn't too bad, it is kind of like playing follow the leader at 500 feet above the ground. The NVGs are pretty awesome. It is almost like daylight with those things on, only minus one little thing...DEPTH PERCEPTION! It is pretty amazing what taking away the third dimension can do to you. I had a few landings that integrated my underwear into the upholstery of the seat. We have to rely on altitude calls from our navigator and when they forget to tell you that you are ten feet off the ground and you are still trucking down, it provides for a very abrupt stop to your vertical movement and can even reverse your vertical movement...what the non-aviator type would call a big bounce. This upcoming week we are flying an NVG flight out of Kandahar, Afghanistan as well as a few more NVG sims and academics. It should be pretty fun except the academics, which their fun factor rates right up there with root canals and baseball bats to the head.

In other news, people at my civilian job finally did something. Yes, it looks as if they finally learned how to be productive, although their output has nothing to do with their actual products and services. As you can see by the pictures below, even engineers and dirt lovers THINK they are funny. I would wear it daily, but in accordance with Air Force regulations I will have to refrain since it has not been approved by a squadron commander.
My question to you (I know you won't answer because you won't leave a comment) is if I really do have a peanut shaped head like the patch shows? According to the patch, if I had a top hat and a monocle I would look just like Mr. Peanut. I might not be the best looking guy in the world (although my name has to be considered in the top ten), but I think I should get a bit more credit than that...COME ON! Thanks to Jon, Rusty, Karl, and the other environmental staff (that are obviously having a slow winter) for their efforts. It looks great! The only question is why in the world would I want to go back to this type of childish hazing in a couple months? I sure never did anything to encourage this type of behavior!

I guess pilots are like fairies, we both have wings. Please don't tell any of my brethren that I said that or I will be stripped of my wings. C-YA

5 Comments:

At Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say the shape of your head and your baldness certainly speaks of your patriarchal inheritance! However, your eloquence in writing comes from who-knows-where? Maybe you could be Hilary's speech writer? She's needing all the help she can get right now!! Creative, you are!! Thanks for entertaining me once a week. Mother

 
At Monday, March 03, 2008 10:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so instead of worrying about the peanut-shaped head, maybe you should point out the size of the fairy's biceps. Now there's a thought! Hey, even though I don't comment, I read your "commentaries" quite regularly. You have provided many a great laugh! See ya, Andi

 
At Monday, March 03, 2008 2:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy - even though i don't know YOU too well, i know your wife. . .and i lived in your house for a short time. but i read your blogs. . . it's pretty cool to hear about! sounds like your on the last stretch & almost home. . . wahoo!!! =)

 
At Monday, March 03, 2008 7:12:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Great patch! If only I had bored engineers as friends...

So how many hours do you have right now? How much longer til you go home? By home I mean Idaho - I expect you're probably halfway thinkin' of stayin' in Little Rock, since you're probably fallin' in love with the rednecks' style of living!

 
At Tuesday, March 04, 2008 4:38:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Yes, we had a list of available aircraft and duty stations, and top of the class picked first. I picked #3. I did have a choice of all the helicopters. My failed checkride didn't put me back too far after all!

I'll be staying at Ft Rucker for several months yet. I'll begin the Hawk course in 2-3 months, and have a few weeks of academics before flying again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home