Sunday, February 10, 2008

Breezy In Arkansas

The last week had about every type of weather. The week started with a high of 77 and clear. Then a warm front "blew" in and we saw one of the best lightening and thunderstorms that I can remember. They led to severe thunderstorms, which had a few tornados that resulted from the breezes they put off. We were fortunate that we only received "gentle" winds and rain. However, as close as 10 miles away, they had very strong winds and tornados touch down. As soon as the storms moved out, the temperature fell down below freezing and it got cloudy. Then it cleared up, stayed cold, and blew in excess of 5o miles an hour for a few days. Finally, the wind stopped and it has been gorgeous ever since. Today I wore shorts and a T-shirt...of course after I got home from church.

I, like Winnie the Pooh, braved the blustery days and carried on with my life. The training for the C-130 mission started this past week. We are learning how to fly low and drop cargo, since that is the life blood of our aircraft. We will learn what kind of ways "Akmed" has to kill us, as well as how to fly at night on night vision goggles so "Akmed" can't see us as well. We also learn all about how to drop different types of cargo as well as how to fly in formation with these massive birds. The schedule looks to be pretty interesting and we get to fly simulator low levels in Afghanistan...not to mention we will also take live fire...the best way to take live fire is in the simulator!

I hated to do it, but I took time to work on my golf game this week. The usual suspects found a new partner...

...it is my buddy's dog. She rode in the cart for 18 holes and didn't move unless she was told to do so. My dog could never have been so well behaved. The dog proved to be invaluable when it would retrieve a golf ball in the woods or rough (I never hit it there, but some do). I think there might be a future for dogs on the golf course!

Candi also joined us on Saturday. She got to the point where she could really "wallop" the old ball, but we haven't figured out how to get it to travel where she aims...guess we will have to go back and figure it out!

A couple that Candi and I know are into mountain biking, so we decided to try it out this week. I had to go buy a helmet and those shorts that make you feel like you forgot to pull down your pants when you got to the bathroom. They have a gel lining on the bottom side of them and they reduce the wear and tear on your backside. I expect that when I get old and have to wear Depends, that it will feel much the same. There is a National Guard camp close to here called Camp Robinson and they have over 50 miles of trail that are just for mountain bikers. I have been going and taking the dog (who usually stays close by) so we both could get some exercise. Candi bought a nice bike while I was gone in pilot training and got into the whole riding thing, so she goes as well.
In other news, Candi is convinced that I am stuck on stupid. I know everyone is going "duh" right now, but I gave her a new reason to think it. Have you ever gone to the mall or Wal-Mart or something and seen the kids with the shoes that have rollers in the heels? They are all over and I can't see why the kids get to have all the fun. Well, finally in December, the manufacturers decided to make bigger sizes to include adults. I had been searching high and low for adult shoes and...
I found them. Candi says it is the stupidest and most immature thing I could have done. She sided with the store clerk that said that the adult sizes didn't catch on like they had hoped and now they have quit stocking them because they were better for kids. Well, not letting the kids have all the fun, I am now a proud new owner of the only size 11 Heely's still in a store in all of Central Arkansas. I spend more time on my backside than standing on them...hey, I just thought of another time I can wear my Depends biking shorts!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:53:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Your flight training sounds awesome! Have you done any NVG training already in other aircraft?

I've always thought the roller-shoes were cool, too; I've never seen any adult sizes. You think Arkansas has a 9.5 or 10 size? Course, I've never understood how you can only walk if you need to. Maybe talk tippy-toed - and that'd get tiring!

 
At Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about you. Sounds like you are having way too much fun!!!
I was in one of those lightning and thunder storms once. It was a bit scary! No sleep that night. I hear you got a promotion, but haven't heard the details yet. Congratulations!
Take care! A. Betty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home