Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sick Of Flying

Yeah, you heard me, I am sick of flying...or maybe it is sick while flying. I was back to my old tricks on Thursday! I threw up multiple times on the second low level route on Thursday's flight. It had been since October of 2006 since I had actively gotten sick while flying and I thought I was over that period, but my body felt like kicking it old school and vomit for old times sake. I started to feel sick on the first route (about an hour) and then on the second one it really hit me. After I had done my business, I felt better and the IP said that we could press on with the third and final route. But, then about five miles from the runway on the way back to start the third route, I decided that having my face in a barf bag was something I would like to do again. At this point the IP said he had literally seen enough and was calling it a day. To my credit, the student engineer and loadmaster both tossed their cookies before me. As is the policy in the Air Force, I had to go to the flight doctor and start that whole process again. If you are unfamiliar with that process, look back at my October 2006 (Week 9) blog...not a fun day. Fortunately, they are giving me one more free-bee before I have to start with the chair and/or medications.

Other than making my insides become outsides, it was fun finally getting to fly low-levels in the real aircraft. It is a lot busier than in the simulators because you have all the outside radio calls of other aircraft, not to mention chatter within the formation. Also the charts that we have depict land where there is water now. Yes, most of the great state of Arkansas is under water and we are getting more rain the next few days. There is water every where and the fat clay (soil engineer speak) soil is already saturated and it causes for a lot of standing water.


When I wasn't flying or sitting through ground training, I was baby sitting my mother. Actually, Candi helped out with that task because taking care of my mother isn't a one person job. No, we had a good time while she was here and we even managed to corrupt her a bit...yes, my mother went to the dark side and bowled for the first time in her life. I suspect she will soon be a beer swilling, bowling shirt wearing, regular at Thursday night leagues.


When we weren't bowling, we went toured the local area, went to Memphis, and Candi took her to Hot Springs . The trip to Memphis was nice and we got to take a river boat ride as well as getting to see Graceland.
I got to see that some Presleys actually have or had money. Graceland was very interesting with a lot of things to see of one of my close family members. Here is my beautiful wife in front of old Els (us close family members call Elvis, Els) house.
I found out why I have to have so many clothes...it is genetic. I inherited it. Elvis had a new suit each performance. You all should quit questioning my hetero card because of my clothes and since at least I don't wear jump suits that are Beed-dazzled with shinny things. Here is proof that it is in the gene pool.
The town of Memphis was really clean and cool. It had a ballpark right downtown and lots of things to do and see. Here is a picture of the historic Beale Street.
In other news, I want to say congrats to a couple of people. First, my buddy John Strube (Sweetpea) got a sweet deal in getting to go to Ohio and do his F-16 training with a guard unit...GO GUARD. Holla back big boy! The other person is one of the non-rent paying people that live at our house...Josh Nelson. He is one ride away from completing his C-130 experience here in LR and should be on his way home to Minnesota by Tuesday...the weather permitting. Thanks for the memories and letting me beat you at golf.
Finally, I want to leave you with one last picture of Carl The Caterpillar. You see tomorrow is the last day of mustache March and Carl will go back into hibernation after one last victory lap. What a glorious run Carl had, but all great things must come to an end.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 5:38:00 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Does the AF allow Carl to grow past the sides of his host's mouth?

 
At Friday, April 04, 2008 2:14:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Sure sorry about you being "sick of flying". Does NOT sound fun! Glad you got to enjoy your mother and take her to some fun-sounding places, inluding of course your namesake (or are you HIS namesake?) I also liked your pretty Easter picture--and I like Carl, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home