Sunday, May 22, 2011

Still in Arizona

Another week in Arizona...fortunately it is ten degrees cooler than normal because mid to high 80s is still pretty warm.  However, it is supposed to reach 105 sometime in the next seven to ten days. Hopefully, (and I have been saying this for over a month) we will be gone before it gets too hot.  With that being said, we did get word that my commander here sent an email to others in the the chain of command that says that he will take the heat and ok me to go home on June 1st, if he hasn't heard back with a decision on the matter of me going home.  Not sure how it will all play out, but at least it seems like steps in the right direction.

In the mean time, we continue to see the area in preparation for leaving.  This past week, I took the first three days off and we went to the Pima County Air and Space Museum.  It has over 250 aircraft and some really cool exhibits...those of course being the ones inside...get it...the ones outside are really hot...never mind!  They have all the usual planes that you can name, but they had some ones I had never seen or heard of, like this B-36B with six prop engines and four jet engines.

However, that wasn't the biggest excitement on Monday.  The biggest excitement came as a result of my posting last week where I said that things don't happen to Jarrett on my watch any more.  God knew I may have spoken a slight over statement, so he reminded me to quit running my mouth.  I get lots of these reminders in life, I just don't do so well on the implementation.  Anyway, this is what the latest got me:
I was watching Jarrett and had laid him on our bed and all was fine.  Then snot started pouring out of his nose, so being a good father, I jumped up and to grab a tissue.  I either bounced Jarrett off the bed in my hurry or he did a couple quick roll overs, either way it ended with a thud and a lot of screaming.  Even though it looked bad, I wasn't as concerned about the skinned cranium as I was the fact that his screaming ended abruptly with him falling to sleep.  A call to Candi and the doctor and we decided it was ok that he fell asleep.  Turns out, either way he will blame me for brain damage, whether it be genetic or neglect. It actually looked worse the day after when the scrapes scabbed up.  When we go out in public, I always say loudly, "I won't let your mother hit you ever again!"

Even with that on my resume, Candi left me in charge the next day and went with some friends on an all day bender at IKEA.  You know it is going to hurt when she asks to take the truck for more hauling space.  Jarrett will have to go to a community college now, but we got some nice things for our house when we get home.

Wednesday, we went to the Desert Museum outside of Tucson where we finally saw javelinas.  Everyone here has seen them attacking their pets, going through their garbage, or just running around the subdivisions, but we haven't.  We thought they might be something along the lines of UFOs or aliens, but we finally put all doubts to rest.  Although it was called a museum, it was more of a zoo of local wild animals and birds.

Other than that, I went back to work on Thursday and the rest of the week was pretty uneventful.  Jarrett continues to beat the roosters out of the gate in the morning.  I don't know if it is the fact that Arizona doesn't do the whole daylight savings thing and it is light about 5:00AM or what, but he looks to be a morning person.  It is ok during the week (Candi would disagree because she could sleep in), but 6ish on the weekends just isn't cool.

We are planning on going to Sedona with my old classmates for this weekend.  I guess it is a consolation prize for not being able to continue North to Idaho.  More on this trip next week.  Until then, see ya!

p.s.  Travis, did you actually mention my name?  Generally, if you say my name instead of just saying you know a Herc driver, they will let you fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home