Saturday, September 30, 2006

Week 6...Flightline

The highly anticipated day finally came...and went. The first day of hitting the flightline, ends Phase I and starts Phase II. However, typically the first day of the flightline is capped off with a "dollar ride." It is the only ride that is not graded and it has origins back to the day of when WWII pilots came home with nothing to do and would go around charging a dollar for rides. It is tradition that you give the IP that takes you a dollar in some fashion that is unique to your ride or your driver.

Moving to the next phase, means a change in supervising personnel. This is where you are shown in great quantity the personal aspects of your life that dictates why you suck at life. And when you don't think there can be many more options, they have great insight on where to find a whole new list. It is a lot more "militaristic" because now "every action has the consequence of losing human lives."

The class as a whole is separated into two flights and we probably won't see the other half too much more throughout the rest of our training. We will be together during tests and certain instruction, but I will spend most of my time with my half of the class, in our new flight called the Knights. Here is a picture of the room where I will spend my time and one of my fans that shaved his head because of how cool I look. Actually, he is like 6'9" and so now they call me, "Mini Me."


It is a privilege to wear flightsuits when not flying, so we take tests and when we pass three of them (Emergency Procedures) we will get to wear our flightsuits all of the time...until we get into trouble. It gets to be a real pain bringing two sets of clothes and switching several times a day...part of the hazing or "the game."

Monday is my dollar ride, so I hope to have great pictures and stories to post on Monday night. Until then, I will study for standups, which is where you have to stand at attention and quote emergency procedures verbatim...one of the bigger headaches of the flightline. If you don't know them, they sit you down and you don't fly that day. If you get behind, you go home. So it is recommended that you put considerable effort into memorizing these steps...if you still want to drive jets for a living.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:17:00 AM, Blogger Brand-O said...

Did they issue you a pink flight suit? Or is it light red?

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 4:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog I thought you might enjoy bring two sets of clothes to wear. That seems like a lot less then when you went camping Mr.GQ. Sorry I guess I should now call you Mr. Mini Me or Triple M. My only question now is do you melt in the hand, the mouth, or the cockpit? Karl

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you! Imagine my son going from his birthday suit to a flight suit! You've come a long ways, baby!! Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home