Thursday, November 09, 2006

Week 12...and just call me Hans...I was solo

To my family, ask someone about Star Wars for the title to make sense.

I finally did it...I soloed. The flying week ended with me soloing on Wednesday night, then we had seminars all day Thursday and had Friday off for Veteran's Day. What a way to go to a break...riding on a high.

The day of your solo, you fly with an instructor in the morning and if you do well, they brief you up and give you their wings and send you up by yourself. I wore Lt. DeWolfe's wings, which I was glad because he has been one of the cool IPs that has put up with my poor flying and donkey calls. His call sign is Pyro and you can kind of see that on my left chest in the picture below. They turn their wings upside down so when you look down, you know who's wings are on the line...and because you aren't them.

The day was perfect for flying, not a cloud in the sky and about 80 some degrees. I was so nervous until the first landing. I nailed the first one almost perfectly and as I took off I just started yelling (not over frequency) and laughing...I had done it all by my lonesome. I then flew for a little over an hour, just staying in the local pattern. I ended up landing 8 times and flying the pattern 14 times. It was pretty crazy going 200+, pulling 90 degrees of bank and 3Gs and realizing there was no one else around.

Of course tradition was not lost on me. I was met upon touchdown by several classmates to do the dunking in the tank. I acted like I was going to cooperate and then I broke out of their grasp and ran to the flightroom. I juked and jived a bit and made it...they owe me, but some how I doubt I will get rewarded for my efforts. Nothing like a 29 year old breaking free and out running a bunch of 22-25 year olds...they now say I am the most athletic and fastest runner in the class. FINALLY, I AM GOOD AT SOMETHING! Too bad it wasn't flying, since the evaluations don't have lines for foot speed and athleticism.

Well, now it is on to my first checkride. I have four acrobatic flights and then a checkride. I am going to have that done before Thanksgiving and it isn't a good thing to hook a checkride. If you aren't familiar with "hooked" that is the term they use if you fail something, whether it be a ride, sim, or test. But then again, I will be home for Thanksgiving and I will care less at that point. I WILL BE HOME IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS...YEAH!

P.S. To all that care about wakeboarding (especially to Coleena), I landed three flips and rode them out yesterday. Nothing like wakeboarding in 90 degree weather in November...so there is one good thing about Del Rio.

7 Comments:

At Saturday, November 11, 2006 2:17:00 PM, Blogger Brand-O said...

We knew you could do it! Congratulations! I'm proud of you. Not that it means anything coming from me. I'm just a lowly dirt pounder. You're a freaking pilot! Oh and uh..."never leave your wingman!" err something.

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for your hum-drum day of flying solo... just like my exciting day of going solo yesterday I went to the store and got milk and bread solo. I think I was as excited as you were when I spoke with you after your solo flight. We are totally proud of you.
WOW!! Our son is a Pilot!!!!!!
PS The store security said I was the fastest runner they have seen in along time. Must be a family trait.

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy,
What an answer to prayer!!! No, you didn't fly solo! He's even interested in our dreams, and helps them become a reality. I'm proud of you and can't wait to see you in less than 2 wks.

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 10:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! You have accomplished what so many people have only dreamed about. Keep your chin up. You're doing great!

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 10:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they might make a pilot out of you yet!! What's your call sign? Should I call your IP and tell them to start calling you Spud Boy, SB for short? Way to go Little Bro!!!! I may actually go up in a plane with you someday... but not one of those little ones you fly back in Idaho - I'm thinking something much bigger.

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE!

AWESOME!!

INCREDIBLE!!!

GO CHEWBACCA!!!!

Chewbacca is more fitting, since he had a full head (body) of hair. Plus, He was the better pilot!

 
At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, I was confident in my ability to motivate you. Unlike your family I have been solo for years upon years (oh wait I guess that is different that solo"ing"). I am extremely happy for you. see you Thanksgiving time. Again I am very excited you just can't tell through the computer screen. Karl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home