Saturday, December 02, 2006

Week 15

Sorry to all for keeping you waiting an extra week, but by the looks of "0 Comments" nobody missed it that much. Anyway, Week 14 was short and I got to go home and see friends, family, and my dog for three days. It was a good time, just way to short. We spent Thanksgiving with my family and then the next day with Candi's family. We had a few friends over on Friday night and then Saturday we just hung out and watched the BSU game. Saturday night we went to the Festival of Trees and then Sunday morning I had to fly back to this hole.
The only good thing was that it was warm when I got back. I left cold Idaho for 87 degrees, Texas. I was laughing and making fun of all of those people complaining about the cold and then karma struck. Wednesday a cold front blew in and it literally dropped 45-55 degrees in one day. I had to wear pants and a jacket for the first time this week. I typically just go around in my Speedo or thong, when not in uniform...but this weather is helping me become more modest.

I was scheduled to take my checkride on Wednesday, but the wind was blowing so hard that we couldn't open the canopy on the jet because it was only rated for 40 knots winds and the wind was blowing harder than that. Not to mention that our chutes are only rated to work if the wind is below 35 knots. How bad would that suck to survive a ride on the ejection seat rocket and then die because of the parachute malfunctioning. The wind was really crazy. You walked with a 45 degree body lean just to keep from getting blown over. The winds got up to over 50 miles an hour.

Long story short, it has been two weeks since I thought I was going to have my checkride and now it is suppose to happen Monday. I hope the third time is a charm because my stomach can't take too much more of these nervous times right before check time. It is so bad, I have never had nerves affect me as much as I have right before this checkride deal.

Anyway, the saving grace is that I will be home in three weeks from today. Not a lot of news from around here, since I haven't been flying much lately. We did have two tests this week that I passed, so that is about as good of news as I have. It is still very challenging, but these breaks give light at the end of the tunnel. Talk to you all next week.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, December 03, 2006 4:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living beside Uncle Bill all those years certainly affected you!!! I'm praying your check ride will go without a hitch. One thing for sure I've done alot more praying since you started flight training!!! One way to keep your mom on her knees!! Hang in there and we'll see you in 3 weeks.

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 9:05:00 AM, Blogger Brand-O said...

I think the reason people were hesitant to comment on that last blog was because of the hot mullet on that sweet hog. That's about all I can say because I can't think of anything else that won't offend pretty much everyone that reads these comments. Oh and while I know you aren't in the Navy and aren't nearly as hawt as Maverick when he and the gang are all greased up and playing volleyball, I was thinking of you at the Christmas party while Jason and I karaoked Lost That Loving Feeling. Don't worry kid. We think of you all the time. Keep up the good work and if you run across any MiGs up there make sure you communicate...keep up foreign relations...you know...give them the bird.

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 7:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...how'd the check ride go?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home