Sunday, July 11, 2010

IFF has Officially Started

This week brought about the starting of my latest class, IFF (Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals). I mentioned it was going to be a tough one and that will probably prove to be a severe understatement. I was already told there was no reason for me to be here because I surely wasn’t going to pass, I already had to clean the squadron bar at 6:45 ON A SATURDAY MORNING, and the list is just starting. It is a hazing and I understand that. If you don’t believe me, just notice my new name tag with my callsign. I will tell you the “NG” stands for New Guy and if I told you the “F”…well, my mother might march right down here with her Ivory mouth wash!

The fun has just begun, but for right now, we are mainly wrapped up in lecture style academics. We could possibly start some simulator training by the end of this week and flying by the beginning of next week. On top of all that, they give us a lot of little jobs to teach us how to be a good “wingman.” We have to be the first ones in the squadron in the mornings (usually 6ish) to have coffee and popcorn ready, clean, restock the snack bar, and just getting the place ready for the day.

I knew this was going to be the case, so I made sure I enjoyed the time in between classes. I got one last round of golf in and it was a good one. I played around in the late afternoon, which found me having the course to myself. I found out why there was no one around…IT WAS AFRICA HOT! The heat is the reason I did so well…there was no one around to see me kick the ball or tee off a dozen times to find the best ball to play. No, I actually shot a legit 83! I about had a hole-in-one and I would have had no one to witness it. The divot of this tee shot on a 172 yard, par three was less than six inches from the cup. Here is a picture to prove it. Oh and in a totally unrelated item, I learned how to use a new picture doctoring software.

I also decided to try out the Texas Ski Ranch on Saturday. It is a wakeboard and water skiing park where you can get lessons on a private lake or try this “cable pull.”

A track runs around a circular water course and you get pulled around by a cable system. It looked a lot cooler than it was, but most of that negativity is probably because I couldn’t figure it out. They had man made jumps of all sizes that you could go off (I didn’t have the courage to try the 12’ jump) but they were the only ways to get air. Two guys were veterans at the system and could pull and turn at the right spots to get the cable to help them attain air for a jump, but I could never get it figured out. It was fun because haven’t been able to go wakeboarding this year, but it was nothing like going behind a boat and jumping off the wake. I would argue that at this place you only “board” because there is no wake unless you were describing the water after I did a nice back flop off the six foot high ramp. Of course, Candi was there taking these pictures and cheering me on. Her cheering tends to be a lot of clapping and laughing after I have taken a spill, but beggars can’t be choosers!

Our friend & old roommate through pilot training, Jamie, came through San Antonio yesterday. It was nice to see him again. He's already visited us twice while no one else has even visited us once. Not to make anyone feel bad...

Candi continues to work from home and continues to be busy. She battled a bit of a sore throat this week, but the reality of being pregnant set in this week when she bought her first maternity swimsuit…or fatty clothes as I call them, when I am looking for a swift forearm to the head. She continues to use rubber bands to extend the life of her current wardrobe, but those days are going to be quickly gone. She has a starter baby bump and it is going to get bigger before it gets smaller. I feel most of my comments are going to make my lip go through the same process. There is a time and place for snide comments regarding weight, shape, and eating habits and I am starting to realize that they aren’t during pregnancy.

Please remember us in your thoughts and prayers as Candi has a doctor’s appointment on Friday to get an ultrasound, which we are hoping to find out if it is a boy or if we have to exchange it for one. Also remember me in my training. Until next week, see ya!

4 Comments:

At Monday, July 12, 2010 12:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you remember those days of Ivory soap sticking to your teeth or me chasing you around Uncle Bill's house trying to catch you to apply the Ivory!!
You know you'd like a cutesy little girl with curls and pink shoes!! I can't wait to be Grandma. I even bought some children's books this weekend. This child will surely be a well shoed reader!!
And yes, I'm praying you will survive your hazing with "flying" colors! Love you, Mother

 
At Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:17:00 PM, Blogger Jeff and Jennifer Kern said...

Good luck with the hazing! Sounds like they are doing their best to keep you humble! Tell Candi "Hello" for me and I can't wait to see some pics of the baby bump! (And I'm glad to see you are learning quickly about the "fatty" clothes thing....I've been there! Be nice!) Can't wait to hear the news tomorrow about your baby girl;)

 
At Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Jeff and Jennifer Kern said...

Oh, the previous was from Jen

 
At Friday, July 16, 2010 3:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGosh what a week. Like the golf shot!
Careful around Candi- I understand she's pretty good with a sidearm. Good luck and congrats on the BOY!!! You spoiled thing you.

Here's to a better second week of hazing, I mean training- Vita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home