Sunday, August 15, 2010

Crucial Week

Well, I survived another week of IFF. I am right in the middle of the hardest phase of this training and hopefully will have the hardest two flights of the course complete by this time next week. As I mentioned before, the defensive basic fighter maneuvering is supposed to be the toughest phase, with the last flight in that block being the toughest flight. I have the final two flights of that phase planned for Monday and Tuesday.

The "defensive" part is very difficult because you are watching the bandit attack you from the back of the jet. Basically, you turn around (as much as you can with a parachute, six straps holding you to an ejection seat, oxygen hoses, and comm cords will allow) in the seat and fly while looking backwards. We are still expected to fly a certain airspeed, keep the right nose low attitude, keep track of where we are, etc., while looking backwards. And for those of you not familiar with flying...all of those things are visible when looking out the front...not the back. Needless to say, I wasn't a pro at flying looking forward, now they want me to fly backwards. Fortunately, I have had some of my best flights lately, so I know what you are thinking...being backwards at everything in life really prepared me for this one. I have really been struggling with keeping my head up and dealing with the pressure lately, so thanks to those who have sent encouragement and prayers my way. I really appreciate it.

The rest of my life is going by at blur speed. I feel bad for Candi because I just noticed she was pregnant this week. Not really, but I feel bad because I am focusing so much on training and not near as much on her and the little one. It will get better in about three to four more weeks, but until then I am sure she could use some encouragement. Basically, I am asking you to do what I am not...although, we did go shopping for baby stuff twice this last week and weekend. We bought only one thing, but it was more of a "see what is out there tour." I still maintain that the Internet has all that is out there, but we went anyway. I can say though, if it weren't for dogs and monkeys, the baby clothes people wouldn't have any ideas of what to put on their gear.
Candi continues to grow, all the while, feeling well. We are very blessed that things have gone so well so far. And no one is happier about that than the guy that doesn't have time for things to go wrong right now. Candi did finally get to go to a coffee for wives in our squadron, so for the second time being here, she got to pretend she had friends. Other than that, things continue to roll along.
We can't wait to be around friends & family again. Please keep us in your prayers, drop us a note of encouragement some time if you think about it and remember me this upcoming week. See ya!

2 Comments:

At Monday, August 16, 2010 12:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy, the troops are engaging in warfare on their knees this week. God has helped you so far and He will continue to do so. Candi is a real trooper putting up with a stressed-out husband, pregnant, and no one to talk to but 2 dogs and 2 cats. She is one special lady. Give her a hug for me and hang in there. You are both loved immensely. Mother

 
At Monday, August 16, 2010 1:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy, We couldn't agree with your mom more. Lots of prayers and love coming your way from us. You'll do great. And so will Candi, she's strong and is your number one fan. Love, Randy and Vita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home