Sunday, August 22, 2010

Past Another Hurdle

This week was a crucial week and I got through it will all my hair...which means I didn't get through it with much. I had the dreaded "DB-4" flight this week and it took me twice to complete it. However, the second opportunity wasn't because I failed the first one...well, kind of. My first attempt at DB-4, which is the last air-to-air flight, I had a communication cord problem. I could hear everyone, but no one could hear me. The instructor took the jet for several minutes while I did some trouble shooting. I found that it was in my mask and by the time I fixed it, we didn't have much time. If the few fights I did complete would have watered the instructor's eyes, he would have probably called it a complete sortie. However, I would have made his eyes water from tears of terror on this day, rather than my stellar flying. End game, we called it incomplete and I got to stress about it for another day. The next flight went better, but still not my best flight. I did pass and that is all that matters, but my instructor did tell me that I barely passed...but as Brandon Huff told me...even doctors that graduate with "Cs" are still doctors. And I always say, they wouldn't have minimums if it weren't good enough.

Long story short, thanks to all of you who said a few extra prayers and sent words of encouragement my way. The program isn't over, but that was a big hurdle to overcome. I put God's power to the test with my inability to fly a jet backwards, but as we all know, he is all powerful and can even get me through Basic Fighter Maneuvers. Now it is on to the bombing range. I will have surface attack flights, one low level, and two surface attack tactics flights...and then I am done. It is all taking longer than expected and we might not quite graduate on time. The worst part of it all, is it may keep me from going with Candi to the Boise State game in Washington D.C.

In other news, Candi is starting to finally feel the effects of being pregnant, there is a cold spell in Texas, and we finally did something this weekend. Candi has had such an easy go of this pregnancy that we were waiting for something to come along and now we are starting to see a few things to make her life a little more complex. She is starting to get heart burn, she can't sleep very well, and she can never be more than 4.35 seconds away from a rest room. These aren't bad things, but people are always asking how it is going and until now, we always said it was just like normal...if you can call something growing in your stomach to the size of a soccer ball, normal. Here is the latest 24.5 week picture.

As for the cold spell, we all broke out our pants and long sleeves this week, as the highs dropped to 96 and the lows dropped to below 80 for the first time in weeks. Although the low was still 78, it was a far cry from 80. I don't know if I am laying on the sarcasm thick enough, but just in case you are picking it up...IT IS AFRICA HOT HERE AND IT STINKS!!!!!!!

It was also a great week because we actually did something with friends on the weekend. Granted the people were practically forced to hang out, but our flight played a little golf and then had a bbq. It was nice to hang out with others on the weekend and Candi actually got to talk to other girls. Then, Candi and I went to a minor league baseball game, which was a good time. I did sit behind a guy with some very long back hair that flapped in the breeze. It impressed me so much I posted it on Twitter and Facebook and now I am sharing this with you. If anyone wants glossies, just let me know.
That is all I have for now, hopefully this week will see me cut a good chunk out of the remaining eight flights so I can graduate on time and go to the BSU game. Until then, see ya!

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy- I am so glad you passed even if it was only sqeaking by. The next will be less stressful I hope. You are still our favorite pilot and I do hope you get to go to the BSU game. Vita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home